Re: dpkg and config files

Brad Tilley <bradtilley@usa.net> writes:

>                    I need to instruct Debian to *never* touch this file
> while doing updates, but I don't understand how to do this. Could someone
> point me to information that describes how to do this?

     Put `force-confold' in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.  This is mentioned as
a command line option in dpkg(8).  dpkg will then output messages
similar to the following:

Configuration file `/etc/logcheck/violations.ignore.d/logcheck-innd'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
 ==> Using current old file as you requested.

for each new conffile.

     Caveat - if you enable this option, you should log your upgrades
(using script, or something similar) so you can see which new
conffiles you have skipped, and check to see if you need to do
something about it.

Regards,

Bob
--