Re: dpkg and config files

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:26:26AM -0500, Brad Tilley wrote:
> Having a small problem instructing Debian not to update config files
> that I want to control myself. For example, I have a remote Debian
> syslog server and I've edited its /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd file to
> our own specific log rotation scheme and now, I need to instruct
> Debian to *never* touch this file while doing updates, but I don't
> understand how to do this. Could someone point me to information that
> describes how to do this?

You don't need to. /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd is a conffile of the
sysklogd package, and therefore dpkg will never overwrite it without
explicit permission from the user.

By policy, everything in /etc must have local changes preserved on
upgrade. (This rule is currently bent slightly for certain generated
files, which is still a topic of somewhat heated discussion - but at the
very least those should all have a note at the top saying that they're
generated.)