Problem with kernel update

Hello,

I am fairly new to Debian (not to Linux though) and run into a problem with the kernel update.

I installed the system from a woody CD-ROM and then upgraded the system to the current 'unstable' release. So far everything went just fine.

Then I wanted to upgrade the kernel from 2.2.20 to the current 2.4.20 version where I wanted to use the 2.4.20-586tsc version. I installed the package using 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20-586tsc' which also produced no error or any other problem.
I modified /etc/lilo.conf and added the required initrd=... line.

I also run 'lilo' a couple of times to check if anything goes wrong there but it works fine too.

After rebooting the machine it runs into an endless loop, complaining that it is unable to insmod some modules. The output looks like this:
[...]
VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 88k freed
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-586tsc/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-mod.o: No such file or directory
insmod: insmod ide-probe-mod failed
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-586tsc/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-mod.o: No such file or directory
insmod: insmod ide-disk failed
kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
insmod: insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-586tsc/kernel/net/unix/unix.o: No such file or directory
kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
insmod: insmod: insmod net-pf-1 failed
insmod: insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-586tsc/kernel/net/unix/unix.o: No such file or directory
kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
[the insmod messages repeat endlessly]

Any idea what could be wrong? I found several postings about this problem but not a single useful reply to them. :-/

Thanks for your help in advance.

Harry