Synaptic won't start.

Since my upgrade to KDE 3.1, I have had no problems with Synaptic.  Then
yesterday, it stopped initializing.  The only thing I can think of that
has changed recently on the setup is the move from GDM to KDM.  Here is
the output I get when trying to start from the command line.  I looks as
though some Gnome component is missing.  I had just the minimum install
of Libranet, then performed apt-get to KDE 3.1 off Sid.

root@libranet:/home/trey# synaptic
Xlib: No protocol specified

(synaptic:887): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
root@libranet:/home/trey#

Thanks for help!