strange console encoding problem

Hi !

I've setup a debian box (unstable), without tasksel,
piece per piece as an minimal approach to learn about the dependencies,
but some things dont work as expected (comparing to a normal big-(fat) setup).

1.) Encoding (i'm using ISO8859 (latin1))
in the console i can enter Umlaute
(german hypens, like an "U" with two points on top of it, eg. "Ü")

if i use cat or more on a textfile with umlaute, it displays correct
if i use less it comes up with something like *inverse*<F6> for an umlaut

Eg. the builtin mutt-editor display it correctly and let me enter it,
but the mutt pager displays it with \340 or something similar.

2.) Cut & Paste on X11
No idea, but i screw this up too.
(no cut & paste except inside a program like opera)

Any sugestions ?

   Felix.