Re: mount changes permissions of directory?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:59:23AM +0100, Joerg Johannes wrote:

> Why does a mount change the file permissions of a directory?

I am not an expert.  There will probably better and more complete
answers but this is how I understand it:
> Example:
>
> ls -l /mnt
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 2003-01-20 18:29 d

This shows the permission of /mnt/d on your present filesystem

> mount /mnt/d

mounting a different filesystem onto /mnt/d - hiding the real content
of /mnt/d.

> ls -l /mnt
> dr-x------    1 root     root         4096 2003-01-24 09:22 d

This shows the permissions of the new filesystem.

> ?????
> /etc/fstab says:
> /dev/hda7       /mnt/d          ntfs    user,noauto,ro          0       0

The present kernels does not have write-access to NTFS filesystems
yet.  I suspect it will be coming soon.

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not
      as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your
      heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
                                John 14:27