Re: mount changes permissions of directory?

Once upon a time Joerg Johannes said...
> Hi List
>
> Why does a mount change the file permissions of a directory?
> Example:
>
> ls -l /mnt
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 2003-01-20 18:29 d
> mount /mnt/d
> ls -l /mnt
> dr-x------    1 root     root         4096 2003-01-24 09:22 d
>
> ?????
> /etc/fstab says:
> /dev/hda7       /mnt/d          ntfs    user,noauto,ro          0       0

When you mount the filesystem, the root directory of the filesystem
overlays the mount directory. Before mount, you're seeing the
permissions on the directory in the root filesystem. After mount, you're
seeing the permissions on the root directory of the new filesystem.

After you mount the directory, you can chmod /mnt and it will retain
those permissions on future mounts.

...except I see you're using NTFS. I dont know if you can chmod a NTFS
filesystem. Someone else will have to help there.