Upgrading X beyond current Debian testing

For FlatPanel DVI support and perhaps other advantages, I would like
to upgrade my P4 machine with a GeForce 3 Ti 200 card and a Planar
dual-input
monitor to XFree86 version 4.2.99.902 or 4.3 when it comes out.

Can I do this without breaking Debian X packages?  I really screwed
up my system once before, when it was new.  I guess that was because
I let the new X overwrite too many configuration files, but I am not
sure.  I ended up reinstalling everything.

The installation script does offer options for what to overwrite.
But I am not sure which questions to answer "n" to. How can I
upgrade, breaking as little as possible?  Also, is this a real
danger, or pilot error?  If it is a real danger, why? What does
Debian have to do when taking a new version of XFree86 and bringing
it in?

Leonard