Re: packages being kept back during upgrade

--- James Tappin <james@tappin.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:38:10 -0500
> Josh Metzler <joshdeb@metzlers.org> wrote:
>
> > If so, it probably means that the packages that
> were kept back conflict
> > with some other package on your system that would
> need to be removed to
> > upgrade these.  To see which one, do
> >
> > apt-get -s dist-upgrade
> >
> > the dist-upgrade will remove the necessary
> packages to satisfy the
> > conflicts. the -s option makes apt-get pretend to
> do this, so you can
> > see what package(s) will be removed.
>
> Alternatively
> apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> Will list the packages to be removed, and those to
> be added as well as
> those to upgrade and then ask whether you want to go
> ahead.
>
> James

Well... I tried both ways, but they did not work -
apt-get replied the same again, keeping back those
packages and then telling nothing will be done;

I suspect these packages might in fact be of unstable
- which would be why apt-get refuses to touch them.
Is there a way to check this? - Because I'm not at all
sure of this.

Thanks,

Joris Huizer