Re: Is this the list for install questions?

eauclair wrote:
> Is this the list for install questions?

Those are fine here.  debian-user is the miscellaneous and other list
for debian issues.  But there is a lot of discussion here so be
prepared for lots and lots of messages about all topics.

But please don't reply to an existing thread.  Start a new message.
When you reply to an existing thread your message will be lost inside
of another discussion.  Many fewer people will read it.

> Hi, I'm trying to install Debian.
>
> I am trying both 2.2 and 3.0. I'd rather have 3.0 working, so I will focus
> on that one.

My advice is to stick to the 3.0 woody as the 2.2 potato version is
very old.

> I have a Compaq 6024. When I boot off the 3.0 disk, all my hardware
> is detected - usb (uhci), NIC (eepro100), and CD-roms (DVD & CDRW).

Hmm...  Debian does not autodetect anything.  So when you say it is
detected I have to wonder if you are really installing Debian.
Because that simply does not make sense.

> When installing, I choose the kernel modules for the NIC (eepro100) and the
> USB core, uchi, and mass storage options.

Okay, you choosing those modules makes sense.  The modules you chose
should end up in /etc/modules.

> When I reboot, none of those devices are detected. I can't access
> the cdrom or NIC, so I cant get any more packages. My sources.list
> is empty. During the 2nf half of the install, it actually says it
> cannot detect a cd-rom. :-(

If you have a network running the easiest and probably best way to
install Debian is over the network.  Assuming that you are on a DHCP
network are you telling the installer to configure your machine for
DHCP?  Does that work?  If so then you should be in good shape.  For
choice of Debian install locations choose http and not cdrom.  It will
test that it can get the package list from the network and then do all
of the installation from the network.  You will have the latest
versions this way with all of the security updates.

> I forgot to mention, I have to boot off the "bf4.2" CD, then put in the
> regular "Generic Boot" CD. If I only boot off Generic, it does not let me
> pick USB as a kernel module to load. After it boots off the bf4.2, I have
> to put in the generic for it to be able to copy the modules, otherwise it
> complains it I dont have an installable module CD. The bf4.2 CD does not
> seem to be a "stand alone" CD.

Okay, you have lost me again.  Here is faq entry for which cd is
which.  As you can see none of the disks are labeled "generic".

  http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#bootable

    * binary-1: multiboot. This CD offers you a choice between all
      available kernels, so unless you happen to have one of the very
      few machines on which the multiboot feature does not work
      (typically very old systems or SCSI systems), you should boot
      from this CD.
    * binary-2: vanilla. A 2.2 kernel with many drivers for older
      hardware (such as ISA-based systems) and USB support.
    * binary-3: compact. A 2.2 kernel with PCI SCSI and IDE drivers.
    * binary-4: idepci. A one-size-fits-all 2.2 kernel which should
      work on most machines. This is also booted by default if you
      just press Return at the prompt of the multiboot (binary-1) CD.
    * binary-5: bf2.4. A 2.4 kernel with ext3 and ReiserFS
      support. You should choose this kernel if your hardware is
      recent, e.g. you are using a USB keyboard.

So you could easily boot off of CD1 and select bf24 as the boot image.
This is probably what 99.44% of people installing should be doing.
Then install using http over the network and you should be fine.

> I am new to Debian, but I'm determined to make this work!

Keep asking questions.

Bob