Re: bogofilter feeback to mail server

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 06:29:36PM -0500, Scott Henson wrote......

> On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 16:35, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> >
> > But what I haven't figured out is a clever way of using similar macros
> > to get that same type of feedback back to bogofilter on the mailserver
> > box.
>
> Ive never done this before, but maybe you could setup a mail box on the
> server that sends commands and attached messages to bogofilter.  Just
> forward the message as attached and perhaps send a command in the
> subject line, and have a perl script listening on the other end that
> runs bogofilter on the message depending on the command.

Setting up a user/mailbox on the mail server would probably work.  You
could bounce the spam email from your client box to the mail server.
And then, probably easier than have a perl script parse the Subject
line, just run a cron job to pipe the email to bogofilter and delete it
when finished.

What I have done instead though, and it seems to be working, is add the
following to my .muttrc as a macro:

macro index X "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>ssh -f \
my.mailserver.com bogofilter -S -d /home/kevin/.bogofilter \n \
<enter-command>set wait_key\n<delete-message>"

macro pager X "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>ssh -f \
my.mailserver.com bogofilter -S -d /home/kevin/.bogofilter \n \
<enter-command>set wait_key\n<delete-message>"

[macros courtesy of a user on the bogofilter mail list]

Obviously this is MUA specific.  While this macro sends spam feedback
back to bogofilter so that it can get better at detecting spam, it is
not sending bogofilter 'good, non-spam' email to help build the
goodlist.db.  Of course I could do this with more Mutt macros attached
to my saves, replies, etc, but then I'd be teaching bogofilter about MY
good email.  Yet bogofilter is running on a LAN filtering email for all
of the users in the LAN, not just me.

I'm not sure how critical it is to teach bogofilter about good mail on a
continual basis.  Spam is spam, so having only me as the spam teacher
for bogofilter will probably serve all the LAN users o.k.  But good,
non-spam email is user specific, so I would think bogofilter would want
contributions from everyone.

Perhaps I'm trying to use bogofilter in a way for which it was not
designed. We'll see how it works in this setup.  More later.

Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner
mailto: kevin@rustybear.com