Re: crazy problems

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:35:48AM -0800, Garrett P. McLean wrote:
> >  > also, is there any way
> > > for me to add ide-scsi emulation as a module without recompiling?
> > Select ide-scsi option in the source tree with make menuconfig,
> > then make modules and make modules_install. Might need to add
> > ide-scsi to /etc/modules too.

Before you try that, you might want to modprobe ide-scsi.  I don't use
the debian default kernel, but I'd be surprised if it shipped missing
such a commonly used modul (if it does, someone should file a bug).

> i don't have the kernel-source package, uname -r gives 2.4.18-bf2.4 and
> when i do apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18-bf2.4 it can't find a
> matching package (from unstable or stable sources).

That was just that particular custom-compiled version for bf2.4
installer that got that version number.  If you're trying to match
with the kernel the installer gave you, go with kernel-source-2.4.18,
you can get the settings from /boot/.config-<kvers>.  But if you're
going to be recompiling, why not just go with kernel-source-2.4.20 and
catch up a little?  The config will load there, too...just tweak it to
get what you need out of scsi emulation in make xconfig or make
menuconfig.

Should you decide to compile your own, you should also get
kernel-package and check out the documentation in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package on how to recompile, it's *really*
simple and supplies you with your own custom kernel-image package for
a nice, smooth upgrade.

> sorry, i'm a pretty much a noob to debian, i've recently switched
> from the easiness of redhat.

Umm, "Easiness of Red Hat" is more of an oxymoron than "Windows
stability."  If it wasn't an oxymoron, then Debian wouldn't be the
most popular distro in the server room and on the desktop.  (Hint to
Red Hat:  RPM sucks, ditch it!)

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user