Need to restart postfix after adding user?

Only one of my systems uses postfix with /etc/passwd mapping,
in main.cf I have:

local_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual, hash:/etc/aliases,
unix:passwd.byname

When adding a new account to the system(via 'adduser'), postfix
does not recognize the account when recieving mail via SMTP until
postfix is restarted(/etc/init.d/postfix restart), postfix reload
is not sufficient. Mailing the user locally on the system
(echo "test" | mail user@my.host.name) works fine. Very odd. I
would expect this is not the expected behavior of postfix.

It's not a big issue, this system maybe gets 5-10 new users
a year. Running Debian 3.0r1. Before postfix is restarted any
mail comming in for them via SMTP is bounced back with 'user unknown'
mail delivery is done with procmail, delivered to the user's
~/mail folder, and accessed via qpopper/UW-imap (both configured
to read mail from that other folder).

I switched to postfix from sendmail when I upgraded the machine
to woody back in august 2002, sendmail had no trouble with adding
users.

All my other postfix systems get user data via LDAP .....

any thoughts?

thanks

nate