Re: I/O errors - logged?

on Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:42:25PM -0500, Caleb Chaplin (caleb@videotron.ca) wrote:
> I've recently installed woody in my home office and I'm trying to set it
> up as a general-purpose server to play and learn from.  It's running a
> number of services (apache, ftp, nfs, samba).
>
> This morning I start the computer and find that running certain commands
> like apt, locate, whereis, etc produce an error similar to the
> following:
>
> bash:/usr/bin/apt-get: Input/output error
>
> Where can I find some additional info as to why this is occuring?  I'm
> guessing there are some log files somewhere that might give additional
> clues but I have no idea where they might be.

In general:

    # cd /var/log
    # find  . -type f -mtime -1 -print0 |
        xargs -0 grep -l 'Input/output error'

...which will show any files under /var/log modified within the past day
(-mtime -1) containing that error string.

I'd suspect system or kernel logs.

Peace.

    A few years ago you could buy a CD, knowing that it was a standard
    product... Now, you...find that you can play it in your hi-fi, but
    not in your car.  Next time, you're not going to make that mistake,
    you'll just log on to Kazaa and download an MP3.
    -- Pete Chown, on why DRM promotes piracy.