I/O errors - logged?

I've recently installed woody in my home office and I'm trying to set it
up as a general-purpose server to play and learn from.  It's running a
number of services (apache, ftp, nfs, samba).

This morning I start the computer and find that running certain commands
like apt, locate, whereis, etc produce an error similar to the
following:

bash:/usr/bin/apt-get: Input/output error

Where can I find some additional info as to why this is occuring?  I'm
guessing there are some log files somewhere that might give additional
clues but I have no idea where they might be.

One thing I did to produce some strange problems was to install
Free/SWAN via dselect but without the appropriate kernel patch (didn't
realize it at the time), received many errors, tried to uninstall
free/swan, received more errors, and eventually managed to get rid of
it.  This description is from  memory and I didn't write down the
specifics of the errors at the time.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Caleb