Re: ftp

Noll, Ralph wrote:
how can i get ftp installed.. and why would it not come installed as base
system

is this a list that i need to subscribe to????

Ralph

I believe the ftp "client" is installed by default... much the same as in Windows. The daemon needed to make the machine a ftp "server" is not. There are several you can install via "apt-get"...

1.  ftpd
2.  proftpd
3.  wu-ftpd
4.  others??

I like proftpd. Installation is simple, and almost automatic with apt-get. About the only config question you have is about allowing "anonymous" logins. I don't, and it has worked right from the start for me.

If you are worried about security, you might want to look into using SSH. The "scp" function works very much like ftp, but over a secure ssh link.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-