Re: *grins*

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:12:59PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 04:35:16PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > David Pastern wrote:
> >
> > > Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?
> > >
> > > BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker
> > > operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos
> > > Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. [...]
> >
> > That was a lovely bit of satire, wasn't it. It was originally published
> > on the currently-defunct site Adequacy.org a year or so back. The
> > article was entitled something like "Is Your Son a Hacker?" and was a
> > parody of all the old "Is Your Child a Drug User?" scare-pamphlets of
> > years past, in which various common symptoms of adolescence were
> > described as "danger signs".
>
> IMO the funniest part of that was the wild replies from people who
> didn't get it.

Yeah, didn't somebody post a link to it on the mailing list when the
article first came out around June?  I really found it funny because I
had just started using Linux around that time and I understood it, but
other people who I had thought had been using Debian and/or Linux in
general for a while didn't really get it. :)

Of course, OTOH, I'm a teenager and (at the time) my parents were
pretty clueless about Windows and Linux.  "What's so bad about
Windows?  I've never had problems with it" and "How can you get a
*full*, *working* operating system for *free*?  Everyone else charges
for theirs.  Well, if you really want it, you can get your own
computer-- but don't come complaining to us when you find out you get
what you pay for" were common arguments I had to deal with.  Now,
after having to reinstall WinME *twice* since my parents bought their
computer in August of 2001, and having to deal with corrupted programs
and more BSODs than I can count, they've decided that Linux is ok. :)
They still don't quite understand how everything (distros, etc.)
works, but they've accepted it as superior.  So that's why I got the
joke.

But what was really funny was the comments from people who took it
seriously.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 USD.

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://www.2khiway.net/users/vroemer
Registered Linux user #2880021   http://counter.li.org/

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

PGP fingerprint: 0A3E 0AE4 CCD9 FF31 B4BB  C859 2DE1 B1D8 5CE0 1578
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/