Clean shutdown directly from gnome2 ?

I noticed that when you start a gnome session as root, the logout dialog
box allows you to shutdown the computer. This is convenient because you
don't have to restart gdm to shutdown.
Now I wonder what need to be done to allow a normal user to have this
shutdown option in the logout dialog box. I guess is just a matter of
giving some privileges to the normal user but I have not figured out
where.

Has someone an idea on how to do that?

Note: I am aware of app like gshutdown but that's not what I am looking
for. There is a clean way to do that, so I want to figure out how.

Thanks,
Christophe

An empty stomach is not a good political advisor.
-- Albert Einstein