Re: dpkg error -subprocess paste killed by signal

On Friday 21 February 2003 08:32 pm, John Schmidt wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 9:16 pm, Carla Schroder wrote:

> > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   arts: Depends: libartsc0 (>= 1.1.0-0woody4) but it is not going to
> > be installed
> >         Depends: libarts1 (>= 1.1.0-0woody4) but 1.0.5a-0woody1 is to
> > be installed

<snip>

> Yes, you should use dpkg --purge --force package_to_remove.  You can't
> reliably do an update for kde from the official kde packages to the
> unofficial kde packages found on at kde.org.  The packager Ralph Nolden
> recommends that you remove stuff before installing the new stuff.
> Familiarize yourself with dpkg, especially the force, since it will
> remove stuff even if there are dependencies.  You may have to do it
> package by package in the worst case, but hopefully, you can remove the
> few offending ones, and the use apt-get --purge remove (the other
> packages) which should help automate things.
>
> John

Thanks John, that did the trick. Hunting down every last KDE app was not one
of my funner evenings! But it did the trick. I also deleted /etc/kde2 and
/etc/kde3, and /user/lib/kde3. Then used only deb
http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1/Debian woody main for my KDE sources.
Installed the pieces I wanted, and everything works. I even have Quanta.

Doubtless experienced Debian users know this, apt-get install <package>
--dry-run is a nice headache-preventer.

--
Carla Schroder