Slow X startup

After installing woody on my home machine I've noticed severe delays in
X startup, specifically loading the window manager.  I'm using blackbox
so the WM itself should not be an issue - I've ran this exact setup on
the machine in the past without problem.  After looking the XFree86.log,
the only anomaly I've seen is this:

(WW) Cannot open APM

I've also noticed this message immediately after running startx:

warning: process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested

Why is this?  In the past I had no problems running at -10.  I'm
guessing that since I'm missing something, as I haven't had these
problems before.

My video card is a 3dfx Voodoo3 3500, and I have both agpgart and dri
compiled into my kernel.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rob