configuring pam for ssh

I occasionally have a need to connect to my home machine from untrusted
systems, so I'm trying to configure ssh to use one-time passwords via
libpam-opie.  I started by commenting out the auth entry for
pam_unix.so in /etc/pam.d/ssh, and adding one for pam_opie.so in it's
place.  So far so good... the keyboard-interactive method seems to work
with opie, and it doesn't fall back normal password authentication.

During the course of testing, I noticed that the change had broken
ssh's built-in password authentication ("PasswordAuthentication yes" in
sshd_config).  Can anyone explain why this occurs?  My understanding
(obviously flawed ;-) was that ssh only uses the pam auth modules for
keyboard-interactive.  I've gone through the documentation and done a
bit of googling, but the answer remains elusive...

This isn't a huge problem, as I'm most likely going to disable password
authentication anyway.  But I'd really like to understand what's
occurring.

Thanx!