Unable to apt-get dist-upgrade

My KDE appears to be at least partially fried...it was never fully
installed but I didn't have any showstopper issues.  Today, when I
logged in however, the taskbar is not functioning (anything appearing on
the taskbar is not selectable).  Anyhoo, I was going to do an apt-get -u
-f dist-upgrade anyway, but when I try, I get a message saying that I
don't have enough space in /var/cache/apt/archives.  I have apt-get
cleaned and this is what I have:

/dev/hde5             495M  238M  258M  48% /
/dev/hde8             6.3G  1.1G  5.2G  17% /home
/dev/hde7             3.0G  2.3G  687M  78% /usr
/dev/hde1              16G   14G  2.6G  84% /windows

How can I increase the size of the directory in order to proceed with
the upgrade?

Thanks.

Trey