Re: Changing process priority

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:59:31PM -0600, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:23:41PM +0100, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how to change the priority for
> > a process.  Actually what I want to do is give more (most) processor priority
> > to ffmpeg when encoding videos.
>
> Read the man page on "nice". If you want to give it highest priority
> you'd use "nice -20 command ...", but it's usually a better idea to use
> -10 or -15 instead to just give it an advantage over most of your other
> processes (which usually run at 0).

Er, I think you'd want to use "nice --20" or "nice -n -20" or even
"nice --adjustment=-20"; "nice -20" implies a nice level ov positive
twenty whic is invalid; the highest numer (and lowest priority)
accepted is 19.

Sorry for the nitpick :-)

  A young man wrote to Mozart and said:

  Q: "Herr Mozart, I am thinking of writing symphonies. Can you give me any
     suggestions as to how to get started?"