Re: free Bitstream fonts

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:25:59AM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> At LinuxWorld Expo there was much talk of the fonts Bitstream was making
> available for free use (mainly for GNOME). It appears that they have been
> released in a preliminary version at http://gnome.org/fonts/
>
> Is anyone planning on packaging them? At the moment, they are available
> with a restriction on redistribution, but that didn't prevent a Debian
> package from being created for the MS core fonts (msttcorefonts). It would
> be great if someone decided to package them as they are, with a download as
> part of the install script, then rev the package with the actual fonts when
> the final, redistributable versions come out.

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious jerk, you would know that
packaging these fonts is already being discussed on the debian-legal
list; the potential packager is trying to ensure that the license is
acceptable before actually speding time packaging.

Also, if you want to see software package you should file an RFP bug
against wnpp (I think that's how it works).  Asking people on d-user
to package stuff probably isn't very efficient.

That is all :-)

  Never tell people how to do things.  Tell them WHAT to do and
  they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
          -- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.