Re: debconf and dpkg-reconfigure behavior

Actually, no.  The regular whiptail and slang1 are installed.  However, I
removed whiptail and modconf and then reinstalled them and now the proper
behavior is present.

I am not sure what might have happened here except that in the
installation using a current woody CD, the user who initially set up the
system chose the "automatic" rather than the manual method for package
installation.  I find it hard to believe that this was the cause but so be
it.

Thanks for your time on this,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Associate Dean for Research, Armour College