Re: X Windows has strange color scheme

Phil Newcombe wrote:

I can't seem to change color depths either. No matter what I do - use -bpp <n> on the command line or change the color depth line in XF86Config-4 manually - nothing changes. And when I click on xsetroot in the window menu it changes to a kind of coarse gray (from the lime-green) and then won't do anything else.

I'm wondering about the color depth too so here is my config file: (XFree86 ver 4.2.1)

Section "Monitor"
   #DisplaySize      320   240    # mm
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "OEC"
   ModelName    "17db"
   Option        "DPMS"
   HorizSync     30-54
   VertRefresh   40-120
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "trident"
   VendorName  "Trident"
   BoardName   "3DImage975"
   BusID       "PCI:1:1:0"
EndSection

I'm unfamiliar with this boardname, but I'm thinking that Trident is really ancient technology, and probably only has 1 or maybe 2 MB of RAM. In such a situation, you're going to be stuck with low colors and low resolutions. I'd try playing with the "DefaultDepth" line below (try 8, try 15) and also the "Modes" lines (get rid of the higher resolutions), if only for experimentation purposes.

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth 16
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth     8
       Modes     "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth     15
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth     16
       Modes     "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth     24
   EndSubSection