X Windows has strange color scheme

Hi all - I'm kind of new to this list but I've been using Debian since 2.0 and now I've got a problem I can't figure out. I was running unstable up until last month with no noticeable problems but I decided, because I didn't want to get any problems, to down-grade to testing and update my installation at roughly the same time.

Well everything works - I've got the 2.4.20 kernel and it runs and X runs - but, it has this really weird 'rainbow' like color scheme running through everything. The root window comes up lime-green with the window borders a lovely shade of pink! The icons in Moz, which used to work fine, are so 'scrambled' I couldn't tell what they were if I didn't have them memorized - but they work right when I click on them.

I can't seem to change color depths either. No matter what I do - use -bpp <n> on the command line or change the color depth line in XF86Config-4 manually - nothing changes. And when I click on xsetroot in the window menu it changes to a kind of coarse gray (from the lime-green) and then won't do anything else.

Do we debian users have a nice graphical configuration utility anymore? I seem to remember one that went through everything graphically, step by step, even to options to choose clock chip speeds and ramdac settings (whatever that is). Was that XF86Setup for X.3 and if so do we have a debianized version of something similar today? Please don't say xf86cfg because that has _never_ worked for me and still doesn't (I have a functioning serial mouse in my many hued windows and xf86cfg can't even find that; so I have to go about with the keypad keys trying to maneuver over the icons that aren't really there and then click with the plus key - or should I double click with the 5??.... . But even if I go through that it still never does anything.)

I've tried totally purging and re-installing all the X packages and it did exactly the same thing! I've tried every different configuration procedure I could find - X -reconfigure, dpkg reconfigure X (?), xf86congigure, etc. and it always comes out the same. And this exact same computer has worked fine for at least a year on unstable!

Well anyway, thanks in advance for any help anyone might be willing to offer.

Phil N

--

Phil Newcombe
57 3030 Trethewey St