Re: adding real-world address to server ...

* linux stuff (linuxstuff@thebytebusiness.com) [030220 11:46]:
> I've created a debian server with apache, php, mysql, etc. with a local
> address of 192.168.100.43, and after testing it, i'm now ready to show it to
> the world.  i have a gateway on the 192.168.100. network ... i want to add a
> second interface (on the same nic) with the real-world IP address ...how do
> i do that?  is there a HOWTO with *simple* instructions for doing this?

Your best bet is to have the gateway perform a destination NAT,
translating incoming requests to its external address towards the
internal address of your server.

Otherwise, move the server to a separate network (a DMZ) which uses
external addresses, rather than mixing external and internal address on
your regular LAN.

Of course, there are many different ways to do what you want. Your idea
of using multiple network addresses on the same network segment will
work, but is just a little unclean, IMO.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/