Re: gtk fonts too big

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 07:35, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:52:44AM -0500, Xavier Barnabe-Theriault wrote:
> > I don't have one yet !
> > Any example of gtkrc I could use ?
>
> You have the same examples I do.
>
> > The system wide exemples I usualy use in /etc/, namely /etc/gtkrc,
> > confuses me, I don't know what is applicable there as my language (french)
> > is not present, as iso-8859-1 used by french canadians. Should I ask the
> > debian-french ?
>
> I didn't say it would be easy, just that's where you needed to go.
> 8:o)  You might give a shout out on debian-french, it might help if
> you're dealing with localisation.  AFAIK, ISO-8859-1 is the Debian
> default, since Debian's based in American-English-speaking territory.

Since the OP is referring to gtkrc, I presume that the priority is using
X11. On my system, I use a French Canadian keyboard with `xmodmap
/usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.qc`, and by setting LANG=fr_CA, I can get the
documentation, menu information and whatnot *that is currently
available* in French. Unfortunately, a quick ls of
/usr/share/man/fr/man1 on my heavily over-installed system lists only 31
entries, compared to 3638 in /usr/share/man/man1 :(

Okay - I haven't focussed on installing French documentation on this
system, as I like most others that can speak French accessing this
system also speak English, and I've been working more on my Arabic and
Russian information (No information of use here for Al Qaeda, though.)

There is the Linux Documentation Project's "La Francophones-HOWTO: Linux
et la langue française" which you can find in either doc-linux-html or
doc-linux-text. A heads-up, though - Gnome-Terminal for Gnome 2.2 needs
to be set for ISO-8859-15 to get all characters used in French,
otherwise it tends to hang on non-ASCII characters (bug reported
#181790)

Using `export LC_ALL=fr_CA` tends to be a good start at getting the
system to expect French as the language and styles.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org