Re: Perfered idle kicker?

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I'm being tasked to come up with a way to kick idle users off off
> systems.  I've seen different ways of doing this in the past but haven't
> used them.  What's your "prefered" methods?  This will be for a large
> environment with a couple hundred users across hundreds of machines.
> I've got the mass deployment handled but I don't want to go through and
> set up an entry for everyone individually, etc.
>
> Thoughts, theories?

autolog works nicely, i modified it to deal with a dialup setup we have
here.

4 different locations dial on demand manually using a program called
wconnect.

But anyways, once in awhile they forget to hang up the long distance
connection.  So I changed autolog to not actually send the logout/kill but
to send email to my pager and I can log in and see whether they're just
idle for two hours or whether they're using the connection.

The out of box setup is to either disconnect the user with or without
warning, or to do absolutely nothing at all, unfortunately.

Mike