Re: Replicating a system... sort of

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:09:54PM -0500, Narins, Josh wrote:
> I was under the impression that if you wanted to copy selections from one
> machine to the next, the proper syntax was
>
>                       vv
> dpkg --get-selections \* > file

The difference between that and plain 'dpkg --get-selections' is that
yours lists both what you've installed and what you haven't installed,
while Nate's lists only what you've installed. If you only want to
arrange for some extra packages to be on a system, then you want plain
'dpkg --get-selections'; if you want to completely replace a system's
package list then you want yours.