Re: *tex: personal ls-R being owned by root

I believe the file /etc/cron.daily/tetex-bin is your problem. If a
variable is set to 0, it calls mktexlsr for each path in
`kpsewhich --show-path=ls-R`, which on my machine expands to
  /home/jason/texmf:/usr/local/share/texmf:/usr/local/lib/texmf:/usr/share/texmf:/var/cache/fonts.

Although, the variable doesn't seem to be set in my version, so I don't
get a ls-R in my home texmf directory. Anyway, this is most likely
what's going on. It does seem a little weird.

HTH,

  Jason