Re: firewall -- best practices

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:28:50PM -0700, John Schmidt wrote:
> 1.  Is it best to not have the firewall doing anything else, i.e. acting
> as a web and/or mail server, and instead use a different machine for
> the mail server?

Keeping the firewall box dedicated to just routing and filtering will
make your firewall box much harder to crack.

> 2.  Occasionally, I would like to ssh into my network from work.  Is it
> best to only open up the port on the firewall or do some port
> forwarding so that ssh connections automatically go to a different
> (non-firewall) machine?

Port forwarding to the desired machine would be good.  You probably
want to do this for your mail server so it can recieve mail from
the outside world.

> 3.  I have been perusing different howtos on various networking setups
> mail server, etc. but am always looking for a must read site, book,
> etc.  Anyone have any good suggestions?

What you seek cannot be found.  There is no magic fix or a
one-size-fits-all solution to network security.  Newbie pointers are
available in the Security QuickStart howto available in the howto
packages or at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-Quickstart-HOWTO/

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user