Re: Safety of Upgrading Unstable

Mark <markdrago@mail.com> writes:
> I installed unstable about a month ago and have had nothing but good
> times. ... But, I'm curious to know how safe/dangerous it is to just
> say 'apt-get upgrade' presently.

Presently?  Both of my unstable machines work fine (though there is
that observation that some packages have dependencies on outdated C++
libraries, notably aptitude).

> I've been following debian-devel and debian-user looking for
> problems people have had with upgrading unstable and haven't seen that
> many (a few regarding kde / libfam issues).

This is probably the best way to find out if something is broken in
unstable.  debian-devel-announce is also a good list to read (and is
far lower traffic).  And of course, if you find something broken, file
a bug report!  (http://bugs.debian.org/)

> However, when I use aptitude to show me what will be
> upgraded/removed/installed during the upgrade, it is removing some
> packages that I would think shouldn't be removed.

I've generally found it possible to figure out aptitude's reasoning
when it wants to delete something.  Often this will be because a newer
package conflicts with the older one, and you have to pick one or the
other to get a consistent state.  Try looking under "packages which
depend on <foo>" on the per-package pages to get some hints on this.

	-- Abra Mitchell