Re: wine and IE

-- Chris Hoover <cwhmlist@bellsouth.net> wrote
(on Tuesday, 18 February 2003, 09:25 PM -0500):
> Robin Putters wrote:
> >On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 21:43, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> >>Has anybody on the list gotten IE to work under a normal wine install?
> >>Is it possible to get different versions to work under different install
> >>directories (this would be IDEAL!)? Would you be willing to give me some
> >>pointers?
> >
> >Okay: from somewhere deep down in my memory:
<snip -- some wine instructions>

> Just go to codeweavers.com and purchase a copy of crossover office.
> This is a version of wine that will run IE, Quicken, Office 2000, etc
> on linux.  It is the same code base as wine, just more advanced.
> Definetly worth the money and will probably be perfect for you.

I would, except I *don't* *own* MS Office; the only application they
support that's of any use to me is IE -- and I'm not sure that it's
worth shelling out >$50 right now (there are libraries and campuses in
my area that I'm regularly visiting anyways).

(In any event, I hope to get a new mobo for the computer that died in
the next month or so, so spending money on crossover now depletes my
expense fund for that.)

If I can get wine or plex86 working, it will suit my purposes fine and
give me another tool with which to work; if not, I'll be okay until I
can dual-boot again.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions and advice!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net