Re: wine and IE

Robin Putters wrote:

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 21:43, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
Has anybody on the list gotten IE to work under a normal wine install?
Is it possible to get different versions to work under different install
directories (this would be IDEAL!)? Would you be willing to give me some
pointers?

Okay: from somewhere deep down in my memory: - Get a IE5 complete setup from somewhere (I got it of the Office2000
CD's).
- run 'wine DCOM98.EXE' (can be found on MS site somewhere)
- run 'wine WINSOCK2.EXE' (can also be found on MS site somewhere)
- run 'wine IE5SETUP.EXE' and select the typical installation

Wine will crash a couple of times, but just keep repeating the last step
until it's finally installed. After that, I even ended up with a nice
little shortcut on my desktop to IE (with nautilus that is).

After that, it's possible to upgrade to IE6. Installing IE6 from scratch
is not possible (at least I haven't found out how yet), it gives you an
error that it needs at least win98.

And, like some other user mentioned here, your fonts will look ugly, but
there might be some tweaking possible. I just did it to show someone you
can run (some) win32 programs with linux.

Have fun!

PS: check also appdb.codeweavers.com.. You will find a lot of usefull
tips there (and also a lot of outdated ones).

Just go to codeweavers.com and purchase a copy of crossover office. This is a version of wine that will run IE, Quicken, Office 2000, etc on linux. It is the same code base as wine, just more advanced. Definetly worth the money and will probably be perfect for you.

Chris