802.11a experiences?

Does anyone have any experience with 802.11a devices? I'm looking to
integrate 802.11a into my home LAN but I'd like to know what to look
for. Some of the computers on the LAN use Windows in VMWare, but they
are ALL Debian machines at heart. (7 total) For starters, money
permitting, I'd like to set up my laptop and two of the desktops with
wireless adapters and have an access point set up.

What I'm primarily concerned with is a box running Sid with a 2.4.20
kernel using preferably a PCI card, and a laptop running the same using
a PCMCIA card. I'm also interested in info about any access points. I'd
think that an 802.11a access point wouldn't have any "drivers" per se
for a particular OS since it wouldn't be directly connected to a PC. Yet
many manufacturers have links to Windows drivers for their access
points.

However, I am very open to any and ALL comments on 802.11a in general.
What type of performance have you seen? What type of range can I expect?
I've heard that 802.11a has a harder time penetrating walls than the
lower frequency 802.11b. Any experiences in regards to X number of walls
between the AP and the client PC? All info is appreciated.

--
Alex