Re: Samba Shares, Unix Permissions, and Win2k clients

Am Dienstag, 18. Februar 2003 16:30 schrieb Doug MacFarlane:
> Team:
>
> I need a pointer to a reference for how SAMBA handles permissions.
>
> I have a straight-forward install where the SAMBA server is the PDC, all
> users have Unix accounts, and the SAMBA shares are setup to use the Unix
> permissions.
>
> But in some cases, writing to a file sets permissions a 644 and in others,
> 755.

was it by using different shares on the server? Then you could have look in
your /etc/samba/smb.conf. Inside the share sections you may (have) set a
"create mask" :

That is from smb.conf  from one of my linux boxes running samba:
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700

[root]
        comment = root
        path = /
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700

(After changing you'll have to restart samba "/etc/init.d/samba restart".)

You are also able to change settings by means of swat or webmin - if
installed.

Maybe you could also have a look in directory /usr/share/doc/samba(-doc, or
-common) to get useful information nearby.

Willi