Re: Reply To Field in emails

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 01:29, Bruce Pinsky wrote:
> Sharninder Singh,,, wrote:
> > hi all,
> > I don't know if anyone this problem is being faced by anyone else also
> > but whenever i press the reply button on my webmail client
> > (Squirrelmail) on any of the mails from the debian-user list, the mail
> > is sent to the guy who posted the msg and not debian-user. I think the
> > reply-to field is set to the poster but being a public list i think it
> > should be set back to the list itself so that the msg can be archived
> > and other ppl can also benefit from the reply.
> > This only happens with debian user ... all the other lists that i
> > subscribe to set their reply-to addresses back to the list itself. Am i
> > the only one facing this problem (or feature) or anyone else also
> > irritated with this ?
>
> It's not that way on the NANOG list that I'm on.

Where Reply-to: points can be set by the mailing list admin (it can on
Mailman, anyway). There seem to be 2 schools of thought on this: some
say the list, some say the originating human. Both have reasoned
arguments. And both come to different conclusions.

If you don't like the way things are on a list, write the admin. If he
changes it, he'll just start getting email from those that like it the
other way.

> Couldn't you just use the Reply-All and then the list will be included in the
> Cc: address?

Oh, no no no. That makes some people angry enough to start flame wars.
What you need to do is use Reply-to-list. Or type a little.

Mailman adds a mailto: at the bottom of a message pointed at the list.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com