Re: VMWare package

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 01:55, Andy wrote:
--snip--
> I have a Debian 3.0 install with the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel and I just did an
> apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 then did an ln -s to make:
> linux -> kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
> So I tell the vmware script that my kernel headers are in
> /usr/src/linux/include    Is that right?

So far so good.

> > 2) The VMware modules must be built using the same GCC version as the
> > kernel.  In practice, this probably only affects unstable at the
> > moment, due to the GCC 3.2 transition.
>
> This is where I am clueless.  Vmware install script says this:
> ------------------------
> Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine.  Please make sure
> it is installed.  Do you want to specify the location of this program by
> hand?  [yes]
> What is the location of the "make" program on your machine?
> --------------------------
>
> I say it is in /usr/bin/gcc but the install fails.

That's because it's looking for make, not gcc. Do a "which make" and see
if it comes up with anything. If not, just do "apt-get install make".
Then try it again. The warning about GCC is that you have to use the
same version of GCC to compile the modules that was used to compile the
kernel. Since you're using a pre-built kernel, this could be an issue.
(My roommate had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Then I introduced
him to make-kpkg and all was well. :)

> gcc: auto-build: No such file or directory
> gcc: HEADER_DIR=/usr/src/linux/include: No such file or directory

Check your symlink and check to make sure that the headers package was
installed properly.

> gcc: CC=/usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory

Try "apt-get install gcc". If it says it's already installed, do
"apt-get install --reinstall gcc".

> gcc: GREP=grep: No such file or directory

Looks like "apt-get install grep" is in order here.

> steelhead:/usr/src/linux/include# ls -al
--snip--

Hmm, this is odd. This is just a wild guess, by try putting in the
headers directory with and without the trailing slash. (i.e.
/usr/src/linux/include and /usr/src/linux/include/) That's about the
only thing that I can think of. Failing then, when it asks you for the
header include directory, just give it the ACTUAL directory.
(/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-bf, I think. I could well be wrong so
check that first.)

Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

--
Alex