Re: unsubscribe doesn't work!~

Al Davis wrote:

> Fer'had Erdogan wrote:
> >
> > Not following the footer instructions, not via the website, not even by
> > sending multiple e-mails to the list manager. So, if there's anyone here
> > who cares about keeping this list decent; take me out! And maybe even
> > fix the problem while you're at it so that others can unsubscribe when
> > they want to.
>
> If you send a copy of the complete headers from the mail you get from the
> list, maybe someone can help.

Perhaps this will help other people who are having trouble.  Because
it is not that hard.

Every piece of list mail sent has the list subscribe address in it.
Here is the example of this last message to me.

          by joseki.proulx.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3D3B04B4B9
          for <bob@proulx.com>; Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:25:22 -0700 (MST)

There are two really good hints.  First the Return-Path says who the
bounce would be sent to.  I am using a Maildir/ format mailbox and
IIRC this is the 'From ' line in Berkeley format mailboxes.  This
allows the list management software to get the bounce and know which
user is bouncing.  It is an encoded address to get back to the list
but also encode an address.  Guess what?  The email subscribe address
is there.  It is not hard to guess that bob=proulx.com is really
bob@proulx.com.

Next see the bottom Delivered-To: line?  That went to an account where
it was forwarded.  That was the original email address without any
aliases or forwarding.  Again that is the list address.  See all of
the addresses in the Received lines?  Again the list address is posted
there with every machine that forwarded it.

The 'From ' address is probably the most reliable indicator of the
email address used to subscribe to the list.  That is the one that you
want to use to unsubscribe from.  If you can't send mail messages from
there any more then the easiest thing is to use the web page to
unsubscribe that address.

Would it be possible to add an explicit header to each mail with the
subscribe address on it?

Bob