Re: unsubscribe doesn't work!~

On Saturday 15 February 2003 11:15 am, Fer'had Erdogan wrote:
> Not following the footer instructions, not via the website, not even by
> sending multiple e-mails to the list manager. So, if there's anyone here
> who cares about keeping this list decent; take me out! And maybe even
> fix the problem while you're at it so that others can unsubscribe when
> they want to.

My guess is that fhe@alterplanet.com isn't subscribed, and never was.  There
is some other address that you have used, possibly without your knowledge, at
some time in the past that is subscribed.  It is likely to be some variant.
Perhaps your ISP changed its name, and you subscribed under the old name.
Perhaps your ISP automatically changes all the names to the new one on all
mail you send and receive.  Perhaps your ISP told you to change your address,
but keeps forwarding the old one.

What do you get back when you try?

If the address doesn't match, there is nothing anyone can do.

The best way to trace this is to look at the headers.  Most email programs
hide most of the headers, so you need to do some extra work to see them.  In
there, you will find the complete routing that a message took to get to you,
including intermediate sites it has been forwarded through.  You may find a
like like "Envelope-To" that probably refers to another or your email
addresses, that you have forwarded so they all look the same to you.

If you send a copy of the complete headers from the mail you get from the
list, maybe someone can help.

by the way ....

I just changed the address I subscribe to this list with.  Just unsubscribe
the old one, subscribe the new.  It worked as intended.

Just for kicks, I tried to unsubscribe an address that isn't subscribed.  I
got back a reply that said the address was not subscribed.  (as expected)