Re: Recompile kernel lost network

deFreese, Barry wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Hubert Chan [mailto:hubert@uhoreg.ca]
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 10:15 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Recompile kernel lost network

"Barry" == deFreese, Barry <Barry.deFreese@nike.com> writes:
Barry> Oh Gods of Debian, I recently built a Dell Lattitude laptop to
Barry> hopefully start doing development on.  Installed Woody with
Barry> 2.2.20-idepci kernel and everything was working fine.  I decide
Barry> to compile 2.4.18.  First time I compiled it, it wouldn't even
Barry> recognize the 3Com PCMCIA nic.  Got that fixed but I still have
Barry> no network connection.  The /etc/hosts, and
Barry> /etc/network/interfaces all look correct but if I run ifconfig
Barry> all I have is the local loopback interface lo, no eth0.  An lspci
Barry> shows the adapter and I get a link light on the card so I am a
Barry> bit lost.  Any thoughts?

Are you using DHCP?  If so, you need to enable CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER.  (Or use pump instead of dhclient.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA

My apologies, I should have specified.  No, I am assigning a static IP.

/etc/init.d/ifupdown restart
/etc/init.d/networking restart
netstat -rn