Re: Recompile kernel lost network

    "Barry" == Barry deFreese <deFreese> writes:

    Barry> Oh Gods of Debian, I recently built a Dell Lattitude laptop
    Barry> to hopefully start doing development on.  Installed Woody
    Barry> with 2.2.20-idepci kernel and everything was working fine.
    Barry> I decide to compile 2.4.18.  First time I compiled it, it
    Barry> wouldn't even recognize the 3Com PCMCIA nic.  Got that
    Barry> fixed but I still have no network connection.  The
    Barry> /etc/hosts, and /etc/network/interfaces all look correct
    Barry> but if I run ifconfig all I have is the local loopback
    Barry> interface lo, no eth0.  An lspci shows the adapter and I
    Barry> get a link light on the card so I am a bit lost.  Any
    Barry> thoughts?

Does the output of dmesg show an eth0 device being detected? If not,
you may not have the write drivers in there. BTW, I highly recommend
using the standard pre-built 2.4.18 kernels unless you simply
can't. Saves a lot of recompiling ;-)

If you do have an eth0 device, what is the output of '/sbin/ifconfig
eth0'?

If that is sane, what does 'ifup eth0' do? If you get an error, what
is it. Sometimes you have to do 'ifdown eth0' followed by 'ifup eth0'.

Basically, what I am getting at is "how do you know your network card
is down?"

Cheers!
Shyamal