Re: exim vs. mutt: envelope/from/sender ???

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 04:21:47PM -0600, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

[mutt + exim and invalid envelope sender]

| Initially, I'd configured exim for this:
| 	local_domains = localhost:Bragi.private.network
|
| Now, I have this:
| 	local_domains = localhost:private.network
|
| For rewrites, I've tried several things; but, this is current:
|
| *@private.network		${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
|                                                 {$value}fail} frFs
|
| *@Bragi.private.network		${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
|                                                 {$value}fail} frFs

What does
    $ hostname --fqdn
output?  Most (all?) MTAs with a sendmail-style interface compute the
sender address by combining the username with the hostname.  The
hostname is determined by gethostbyaddr( "127.0.0.1" ).  Often the nss
libraries on the system look for the 127.0.0.1 entry in /etc/hosts and
returns the name given there.

For exim's rewrite to work, naturally the pattern must match the
address you want to rewrite.  Change the rewrite rule so that the
pattern matches.  (case matters too!)  Secondly, the localpart must be
a key in the lookup file.  Is your username, with proper case as well,
a key in /etc/email-addresses?

| In ~/.muttrc, I have these weird variables, _none_ of which make it into
| received email:
|
| 	set envelope_from=yes

This will only work if the MTA on the system accepts "-f" from users.
Usually the MTA doesn't trust local users to that extent,  computing
the return address on its own.  (think of a multi-user system where
the users may try to abuse the resources and hide their identity)

| 	set from="Michael Zchleif <jmoke@helices.org>"
| 	set realname="Michael Zchleif <jmoke@helices.org>"

This, if $use_from is set, sets the Header From:.

HTH,
-D

--
Commit to the Lord whatever you do,