Re: flex++ and C++ compliance

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:23:16AM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> I'm trying to determine whether flex++ produces standards-compliant C++. It
> seems that it very nearly does, except that /usr/include/FlexLexer.h refers
> to std::istream and std::ostream without the std:: prefix. This is as of
> 2.5.4a-30 (current unstable), however; 2.5.4a-29 was still using
> iostream.h. I downloaded 2.5.4a from ftp.gnu.org and its FlexLexer.h is
> still using iostream.h.
>
> Does this mean that only Debian's (unstable) version of flex++ is properly
> C++ compliant (and still not quite)? Will the changes get back into the
> primary branch?

The Debian maintainer has probably already sent the patches upstream to
GNU; it probably has a slow release cycle though, which is why it hasn't
shown up yet.

> My motivation here is to be able to document which version of flex++ some
> software requires. Right now I can use any version, but I have my own
> flex.skl and FlexLexer.h which are heavily modified. I'd rather be able to
> document a reliance on an authoritative version.

If you've managed to get full ISO C++ compliance working, then send your
patch to both the Debian maintainer and GNU, they will love you for it
:)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/