Apache2, mod_proxy slow response

Hi people,

lately I have been playing with a setup of a load-balancing front-end
webserver (a reverse-proxy) and a number of backend servers. (All
Linuxes, Proxy Server Apache2 on Debian woody)

The setup is very similar to what is described in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html (load balancing
section)

It works! But there is a severe performance impact:

If I address my backend servers directly I have response times of an
average of (very) few hundred milliseconds (tested in Apache JMeter) but
when I access through the proxy, average response time is 1.3 secs.

Even worse: out of ~50-100 accesses one takes very long: 10-60 secs.
That is not tolerable.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? and found a (removable)
reason? I am happy to post my config if that helps.

TIA, Alexander

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Alexander Banthien