Re: how to login from old pc to new pc

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 11:11:54PM +0100, Roman Brodylo wrote:
[...]
>I've found tons of links to diverse sites, howtos and mailing list
> entries, and all of them say how easy it is to use your old machine as
> an x-terminal - but it isn't. Lengthy excursions into different types of
> setups, the intricacies of X, terminals, remote login, ssh, LTSP and on
> and on. I'm certainly no linux expert - but also no total knows-nothing
> newcomer (well, I got sarge working).

Hi, Roman. I'm not quite sure what your current enviroment is like,
such as, are you using [x|g|k]dm. So I will give you quick info on xdmcp
for gdm and kdm that should be easily applicable to wdm xdm etc.

On server:
    edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf for gdm or /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc for kdm. Find the section marked
    [xdmcp] and set Enable=true

    If you are using KDM you must also edit /etc/kde/kdm/Xaccess. There will
    be two lines that are commented out:

#*

    and

#*  CHOOSER  BROADCAST

    uncomment those lines (remove the pound signs).

    restart your dm by doing the old /etc/init.d/[k|g]dm restart

On the client, the procedure is the same for either dm. Simply run:
X -query ip.address.of.server

This will give you a login screen on the client, log in and work as
usual.

Another nice method is using vnc (tightvnc works well) through inetd, a
google search should turn up some good info on that method.

I hope that helps you out, good luck.

-Mark