RE: Compiling kernel source

>>> DT

   Thank you very much for all of your assistance. I now have my cheap
   little modem (PCTel HSP MicroModem 56, a 'winmodem' not so identified
   bought from CompUSA for $25) working just fine under debian linux. It
   required a little tailoring to reflect ttyS15, etc

   I also surfed around using Mozilla (which seems in the context of my
   linux environment to be much more efficient than the Windows-based
   browsers) to gain some insight into the compile process through which
   you led me and about which others have commented but I've not been
   able to find any relevant sites. I'd appreciate any recommendations
   here

   Until now, and for a little while further, I have been using
   Microsoft's Outlook in a Windows XP environment to communicate while
   I continue to install features on my other system which has linux
   installed. For the most part, I have been copying off the
   transmission from Outlook, editing in vim, and pasting the results
   back to Outlook. Sometimes there are unintended consequences

   With a partial doctorate in graphics, I've been trying to apply a
   reasonable format which makes for a clear flow. In general, I've not
   been impressed with successively greater indenting, but would welcome
   any specific recommendations to improve readability and correct any
   other breaches. I'm not sure of the meaning of 'include visible
   quoting levels and not only one line above and _normaly_ written
   text'

   For now, I'm continuing to use this Windows system for mail. It's a
   notebook, and thus allows me to carry all of my correspondence with
   me when I travel as well as remain completely in touch. At some point
   in the past, it was suggested there was a mutt version which ran
   under Windows. I'm also considering the idea of adding another drive
   (not sure that's supported) and installing linux on this box too

   Thanks again to all for the feedback. I'm already miles ahead of
   where I was when I had debian Potato installed. I will separately
   post a query about suggested mail environments

>>> Eduard Bloch wrote (reply interspersed) on Sunday, February 16, 2003
3:29 AM

   David Turetsky wrote on Sat Feb 15, 2003 um 11:46:26PM:

   >    'uname -r' gives '2.4.18-bf2.4' but 'apt-get install

   Please fix your mail-quoting, it should include visible quoting
levels and not
   only one line above and _normaly_ written text.

Saturday,
   > February 15, 2003 5:39 PM

   Also fix your mail-quoting script to catch the right user-name. It
should not
   take the provider-generated info but the one given by my MUA.

   >    kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4".  Point your module building system
   >    /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include then.
                                     ^^^^^^^
   > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18.bf2.2/include/linux/modversions.h
                                   ^^^^^^
   > usability... no

   Please fix your keyboard or learn how to copy and paste text. You
know, that
   binary data splitted in 8bit chunks, called ASCII (byte) characters.

   Gruss/Regards,
   Eduard.