Re: ICQ behind router/firewall

On Sunday 16 February 2003 20:34, Scruloose wrote:
> And Alicq seems to have imploded on install.  Run it and it just exits
> instantly with an error message (something about username or password not
> supplied, IIRC), and when I edit its config file, I get one long line of
> non-ascii garbage.

Now this sounds like you should fsck the partition, there's definitely
Something Wrong(*).

> Needless to say, I'm using GnomeICU, 'cause it's limping along better than
> the competition.  But how do I fix this?  Is there some port I need to
> forward for the "so-and-so is online" packets to get in?  Is there a client
> for Linux that's as smart as the windo~1 ones (to work behind a firewall
> without port forwarding)?

Normally, you don't need to forward any ports to have basic functionality
(messaging). This stuff can be performed over a TCP connection to the server.
The only thing you should need fancier settings for would be incoming file
transfers and other stuff that requires a P2P-link initiated by a remote
host.

The only thing that I've seen similar problems with are:
 - clients using an outdated protocol version and therefore not-so-maintained
login servers
 - connecting over a clogged link.

> BTW, if there's a solution that will work and is not Gnome-specific, that
> would be a bonus.  I'm using gnome 'cause it was the default, but I'll
> probably be shopping for a lighter faster window manager at some point in
> the not-too-distant future.

For windows I'm running a SOCKS4-server which works fine. I haven't been able
to use it with licq 1.2.3 because it didn't compile with SOCKS support and I
don't know what 1.2.4 would say because I'm too lazy.

(*) "Something Wrong" might be a trademark of Microsoft Corp, you never
know...

--
Got Backup?